Responsive Ad

Is It Even Possible To Get Over Your Burning Hatred For Mondays?

You just timed out and turned your laptop off. You get up from the chair you've been sitting in to stretch. It's finally Friday. You spend an hour or two at the dinner table, catching up with your family and full of excitement for two-day break ahead. But in the blink of an eye: It's Sunday night, and you feel something weird in the pit of your stomach. Ugh. Anong nangyari sa weekend mo?

Believe it or not, "Sunday Scaries" is a term that's been circulating the web for a few years now, and it's pretty self-explanatory: It's the dread you feel about Sundays...because it's so close to Monday. This article is more specific by calling it "Sunday night blues." But if you really looked at your work style and company culture, you may find that Mondays aren't the enemy. Whatever sadness or anxiety you're feeling, it's probably caused by something specific that you attribute to Mondays. 

For example, I don't enjoy Mondays because people are more likely to ask for meetings on that day. Plenty of (read: too many) meetings are scheduled at the beginning of the week. And I understand that this is probably so that there's more time to accomplish tasks before the next weekend, but it doesn't change the fact that it makes my Mondays less appealing. When we asked the women in our Cosmo Community what they thought, Tish echoed my sentiments: "I also avoid scheduling meetings and deadlines on Mondays. I'd rather work late on a Friday than have to be hingal on a Monday." So figure out what that trigger is for you. Maybe it's an abusive boss or a larger-than-life project or a weekly team meeting that isn't exactly productive. Once you pinpoint your stressor, you can go from there. 

What can you do on the weekend to make Mondays less sucky?

Knowing what's in store for the following week can also lessen the anxiety Monday brings:

  • "[I take] time on Sunday mornings to plan out my week. I'm a planner, sigurista, and a Capricorn (lol) so I like to make sure things are listed and plotted down. I open my email and list down the meetings and deliverables for the week so I know what to expect. I find that this softens the blow when the work week starts." -Retty
  • "[I] open my inbox before I sleep to clear some mail—not respond, just check on what I have to prioritize and prepare my sched for the week. If I know how my Monday is going to be like, I'm less anxious." -Nicole
  • "A boss of mine said na better if Sunday night pa lang, you start thinking about what you will do on Monday morning. Hindi naman need na magtrabaho and such, but simply doing a to-do list and checking your backlogs will do. Para 'di ka overwhelmed by Monday. He also suggested na i-try na by Friday, mag-early out or do less sa work to compensate [for] the work you will do on Sunday night. Make it a point to have a slow Monday." -Sarah

Some believe in not thinking about work at all

  • "I turn off all notifs, and may naka-establish na rule with me, friends, and BF to not talk about work until Monday. I also make it a point to cook/make something with my hands." -Deih
  • "I HATE HATE HATE Mondays, so I always try to have one *fun* thing scheduled for Sunday night, whether it's reading a new book, having a zoom call with friends, or watching a new Netflix movie to *ease* the pain of another looming work week. Minsan nagwo-work, minsan hindi." -Lily
  • "Have a nice, hot bath with peppermint and lavender essential oils. Spend your weekends for your self and don't think or plan about work. You spend five days a week para sa work; two days lang para sa sarili mo, ibigay mo na sa sarili mo 'yan, girl." -Chamie

Finding a new thing to be excited about can be the key.

  • "I never loved Sundays but when I started watching feel-good shows on that day, my perspective completely changed, lol. It really works for me! Lately, it's the K-drama Vincenzo and vlogs about university life in South Korea that are helping me cope with weekend sadness. Cleaning my room and organizing my desk also make me feel like I'm all set for a new week." -Hanna

You could also think of Sundays as Saturdays!

  • "I've always dreaded the ~starts of something new~ all my life. A new school year, a new job, and now, even a new work week. For me it's because I live with anxiety and the thoughts in my head always go along the lines 'You can't do it', 'How will you even survive this week? There's so much YOU CAN'T DO.' Yeah, it's crippling, especially on bad days when I just obsessively count down the hours on Sundays and before I know it, it's 11:30 p.m. and my bedtime alarm goes off.

    But I recently have been learning to just ~be~ and reframe my thoughts into living in the present moment: 'Sunday PA LANG. Enjoy it, Cindy. Whatever happens tomorrow will happen tomorrow. All you have is the now.'
    Giving myself this pep talk has helped! And I've been treating my Sundays as if they were SATURDAYS—doing all the things I love (exercising, reading, listening to music, watching fun shows) without the FEAR of what's to come the next day." -Cindy

***

What does your zodiac sign say about you? Subscribe to Cosmopolitan Philippines and find out!

Follow Ysa on Instagram.

[ArticleReco:{"articles":["74146","76744","76541","75357"], "widget":"More from cosmo"}]


Source: Cosmo PH

Post a Comment

0 Comments