Responsive Ad

Taylor Swift's 'You All Over Me' Is All About Trying (And Failing) To Get Over Your Ex

Calling all Swifties: Are you ready to be fed? Taylor Swift is back to dropping new music—yes, again! We get to enjoy a never-released treat from the rerecorded version of Fearless (Taylor’s Version), titled “You All Over Me (From the Vault). But before we get into dissecting the meaning of the song, let’s do a little refresher on why Taylor wanted to rerecord in the first place.

Last month, Taylor announced that she wanted to do Fearless over again because she wanted to have full creative control over the process. She said:

“I’ve spoken a lot about why I’m remaking my first six albums, but the way I’ve chosen to do this will hopefully help illuminate where I’m coming from. Artists should own their own work for so many reasons, but the most screamingly obvious one is that the artist is the only one who really *knows* that body of work. For example, only I know which songs I wrote that almost made the Fearless album. Songs I absolutely adored but were held back for different reasons (don’t want too many breakup songs, don’t want too many down-tempo songs, can’t fit that many songs on a physical cd).

“Those reasons seem unnecessary now. I’ve decided I want you to have the whole story, see the entire vivid picture, and let you into the entire dreamscape that is my Fearless album. That’s why I’ve chosen to include 6 never before released songs on my version of this album. Written between the ages of 16 and 18, these were the ones it killed me to leave behind.”

[instagram:https://ift.tt/2ZkaqQ2]

Of those six never-before-released songs, “You All Over Me (From the Vault)” is one of them. The song, which features country queen Maren Morris on the background vocals, is about a classic case of not being able to forget about your ex and still being kinda sad about the way things ended…no matter how much you might try not to be.

JSYK, Swifties noticed that some lines in “You All Over Me” match up with another Fearless original track called “Last Kiss.” The song was supposedly about Taylor’s relationship with Joe Jonas, which lasted from July 2008 to October 2008. It’s important to note that part of Fearless was recorded while Taylor was still dating Joe, so it’s possible that he inspired the lyrical content for “Last Kiss” and “You All Over Me.” It’s all speculation though!

Since you’re about to be already obsessed, learn the lyrics to the song—and completely obliterate the replay button—below.

[youtube:{"videoId":"null","youtubeId":"XKaMUm7YwZc", "caption":"Taylor Swift ft. Maren Morris - You All Over Me (From The Vault) (Official Lyric Video)"}]

[Verse 1]
Once the last drop of rain has dried off the pavement
Shouldn’t I find a stain,?but?I never do
The?way the tires turn stones on?old county roads
They leave it muddy underneath, reminds me of you
You find graffiti on the walls of old bathroom stalls
You know, you can scratch it right off, it’s how we used to be
Like the dollar in your pocket that’s been spent and traded in
You can’t change where it’s been, reminds me of me

[Chorus]

And I lived and I learned, had you, got burned
Held out, held on
God knows, too long, you wasted time
Lost t?ars, swore that I’d get out of her?
But no amount of freedom gets you clean
I still got you all over me

[Verse 2]

The best and worst day of June
Was the one that I met you
With your hands in your pockets
And your “don’t you wish you had me” grin
I did, so I smile, and I melted like a child
Now every breath of air I breathe reminds me of back then

[Chorus]

Well, I lived and I learned, had you, got burned
Held out, held on
God knows, too long, you wasted my time
Lost tears, swore that I’d get out of here
No amount of freedom gets you clean
I still got you all over me

[Bridge]

I lived and I learned and found out what it was to turn around
And see that we were never really meant to be
So I lied and I cried and I watched a part of myself die
’Cause no amount of freedom gets you clean
I still got you all over me
I still got you all, oh, over me

[Outro]

Na na na, na na na, na na na, na na na na na
Na na na, na na na, na na na, na na, all over me
Na na na, na na na, na na na, na na na
Na na na, all over you, all over me
Oh oh oh oh oh yeah, oh oh oh yeah, yeah
Oh oh oh all over me

***

This article originally appeared on Cosmopolitan.com. Minor edits have been made by the Cosmo.ph editors.

[ArticleReco:{"articles":["76341","75969","75865","75055"], "widget":"More from cosmo"}]


Source: Cosmo PH

Post a Comment

0 Comments