Responsive Ad

Tamad Ako Magligpit, But These Closet Cleanout Tips Made It So Easy

Everyone who knows me is aware that I'm not the most organized person. Last weekend, a friend dropped by my place and had to stay in my room to wait for someone. I could see the look in her eyes when she saw my bursting closet. Before she could comment, I said, "I know I have a problem. I need to get rid of a lot of items I haven't been wearing."

I'm not a minimalist, so I had no plans of extreme decluttering or cutting my closet content in half. Also, the task is overwhelming. As someone who is not used to spring cleaning, I had to find an easy system. Here's how I made the experience bearable.

Easy Ways to Clean Out And Declutter Your Closet

Play nice music.

They say you can't get away from adulting tasks but you can take control of the soundtrack of your life! Play your fave songs to hype you up or soothe your mind. I prefer hearing tracks from Spotify's Indie Pop playlist because I feel like I'm in a Gen Z movie.

Know your current style.

Determining our current style is a more important factor than basing our existing wardrobe on trends. When you know what works for your body type, lifestyle, and aesthetic, it will be easy to find out which pieces are worth keeping.

Divide and conquer.

Instead of getting all of your clothes, shoes, and bags in one swoop, try decluttering by category. Allot one Saturday for tops, then jeans and dresses on Sunday. You can take care of your shoes or bags the following Saturday.

Ask yourself the important questions.

When you evaluate a piece ask yourself the following:

  1. Does this piece still fit?
  2. When was the last time you wore it?
  3. Will you wear this again?
  4. Is this a passe trendy piece? Does it still fit your current aesthetic?
  5. If you think it needs altering or repair, will you *ever* make time to have it fixed?
  6. If you saw this in the department store or in a shopping app, would you still purchase it?
  7. Do you like how it looks on you? Does it make you more confident?

After answering this set of questions, you'll finally figure out if a particular item should be kept, donated, or tossed.

Set a time block or deadline.

Since closet cleanouts usually take up the bulk of your time, you must set a deadline when you'll stop. This way, you won't get overwhelmed or fatigued. Plus, you'll be hyper-aware not to waste time looking at that hoodie you "borrowed" from an ex.

Maximize vertical space.

When you live in a small room, it's important that you maximize your vertical space. This means you prioritize tall shelves, cabinets, or chest of drawers over wide ones. Having more walkable areas is valuable!

Last tip: Again, there's no easy way to declutter, but you just have to do it. Good luck!

Follow Ira on Instagram.

***

We are officially on Viber! Be part of the Cosmo Viber Community by clicking here! 

[ArticleReco:{"articles":["76224","75844","73274","71166"], "widget":"More from cosmo"}]


Source: Cosmo PH

Post a Comment

0 Comments